Skip to main content

It Starts With Us - By Colleen Hoover


​“Sometimes the right person for you was there all along. You just didn’t know it yet.”

What an ending to the book “It Starts with Us”! You simply can’t help but get emotional while reading it- just like its connected novel, “It Ends with Us”.

I had heard that “It Starts with Us” wasn’t as impactful as “It Ends with Us”, but honestly, I enjoyed both equally (even though I read them with a gap of one year).

I absolutely loved the characters Atlas and Lily.

“It Starts with Us” follows the events of “It Ends with Us”, so it’s best to read “It Ends with Us” first. I bought both together and followed the recommended order. I finished “It Ends with Us” in January 2025 and picked up the second book almost a year later(February 2026).

While “It Ends with Us” is intense and heartbreaking, “It Starts with Us” feels softer and more hopeful. The story is subtle, focusing on emotional healing and growth rather than crisis.

After leaving her abusive marriage with Ryle, Lily reconnects with her first love, Atlas Corrigan. The strength and individuality both Atlas and Lily carry; and the way they try to build a life together while being mindful of each other after years apart is deeply emotional. You can’t help but become invested in their journey and, in some way, live it with them.

Unlike the emotional turbulence of the first book, this story explores what happens when love feels safe, steady, and intentional.

Colleen Hoover’s writing style is beautiful, she allows each character to take you through their own perspective, helping you see the same situation through different lenses. I especially loved how she weaves together the past and the present, bringing old emotions alive through journal entries. It reminds me of the way Imtiaz Ali makes his films- nostalgic and emotionally indulging.

I’m in love with the world and emotional universe the author has created.

If you love this genre, both books are a must-read.

AS: Happy Reading! 😀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madhushala - By Harivansh Rai Bachchan

“Mitti ka tan, masti ka man, kshan-bhar jeevan — mera parichay.” I think most of us have heard of Madhushala since childhood — though many may not have actually read it. I remember watching Amitabh Bachchan recite its verses on award shows, reality shows, and even on KBC. A few years ago, I finally decided to pick up a copy for myself, and to my surprise, I realised it might be the longest poem I’ve ever read — or will ever read. A true gem of Indian literature, Madhushala has 135 verses, each one as thoughtful as the next. Recently, while looking for another book on my shelf, I came across it again, read through a few pages, and felt like sharing it here. Madhushala is one of the most celebrated works in Hindi poetry, written by the legendary Harivansh Rai Bachchan. While it speaks of wine, taverns, and cups, it is not about drinking in the literal sense. These are thoughtful metaphors used to reflect on life, emotions, struggles, and dreams. For Indian readers, Madhushala holds a spe...

The Guava and The Pause

Today, I noticed a man in his early 50s waiting for the metro, chewing slowly and with intent. When he sat inside, I realised what he was enjoying - a big guava. He took generous bites, paused to chew, and let out quiet sighs of contentment. There was a deep sense of satisfaction on his face. It felt like he had momentarily stepped out of the box that corporate life often puts us in- a space where we show up as our professional selves, not always as our most comfortable or real selves. Watching him simply enjoy his guava felt grounding. There was calm, ease, and an honesty in that moment. 17:55 PM | 17th December 2025 ​ AS: Happy Observing!! 😀 Picture Credit : Pinterest

Awakening the Divine Feminine (The Pancha Prakriti Goddesses) – By Adi Krsna Rama

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of spiritual podcasts on YouTube, and spirituality as a topic has always fascinated me, since childhood. Everyone defines it differently and seeks something unique through it. Maybe this ongoing curiosity led me to this book. Interestingly, this is the only book I have ever bought without any recommendation; no reviews, no prior knowledge, nothing. I just came across it while browsing books on Amazon and instantly felt attracted to it. Sometimes, energies guide you toward certain things, they speak to you, help you make choices—and this book was one of those moments. I am really glad I trusted that instinct. The book explores the divine feminine through goddesses and their energies—how each goddess resides within us, how we can awaken their energies, and how our personalities often resonate their traits. It beautifully reminds us that spirituality is everywhere—in everything we do and everything around us. All it takes is awareness and a willingne...